Random cutout during trips (XRV 750)

Discussion in 'Legacy Africa Twin General Discussions' started by Rasper, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Rasper

Rasper New Member

Hi All, maybe someone's experienced this before as well.? I'll be driving for about 20 - 30 km's and the bike literally just dies on me for no apparent reason.

I've checked the fuel tank for blockages - nothing,
    I've checked the pipe works, also clean,
    I've tested the electronics down to 'tonguing' the spark plugs and its all good (nice way to get electrocuted - don't make my mistake)

I then tow the bike back home, let it sleep for the night and voila!, the next day - It starts up with a purr on the first attempt within 2 seconds. It then drives for a while and simply randomly cuts out again.

Any direction from you guys if you've had similar experiences would be highly appreciated.

2. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Being that it starts and runs eliminates many mechanical causes, which leaves you with only two things, spark or fuel. Have you checked that there’s actually fuel in the float bowls when this happens? Also, I know the old XRs were prone to stator failure.

3. Rasper

Rasper New Member

Thanks Graves, Appreciate the feedback. I think you're spot on with the fuel thought. It seems the fuel tank taps were the problem on both sides. They were both pretty clogged, so fuel would seep out, but not enough to keep the machine running for a proper distance. Then when stopped for a while, the fuel would return enough to startup and go again for a while.

4. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

You also want to make sure that the tank is venting properly, if air can't get in gas can't get out.