Tire Age.

Discussion in 'Africa Twin Tech Tips' started by Graves, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Did you know that tires have the production date molded into the sidewall? The production date is a four digit number, the first to digits are the week of production, the last two are the year (e.g. 4017 would be the 40th week of 2017). So even a “new” tire that is old is still no good. What happens is that the solvents that make the rubber pliable start evaporating the molment the tire leaves the mold. A tire that is unused but six rears old I’ll have reduced traction and be prone to premature failure. I run a fleet maintenance operation for a living, and my policy is that we only install fresh stock and that tires get replaced after four years in service, two years for rideshare and field research vehicles, no matter what they look like. I’m not going to be at home in the evening watching the news and see one of my vehicles on it’s roof with it’s occupnts strewn all over the desert.

The reason I bring this up is that I was picking up a rear tire for my CR500R yesterday and found a Shinko with a nice tread pattern, the price was fantastic, but it was to years old... pass, it was already turning to stone. If I would have put that thing on the bike it would have spit half the knobs off the first time I got on the gas.

Check the production date before you buy.

BobSill likes this.
  2. Thanks for this info, I didn't know this.

Go Chiefs!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

3. Made that mistake myself. Just took for granted that the dealer I frequented honoured long-term customer service. This is Thailand though.
    2 years ago I bought a set of Pirelli MT60s for my Versys. As soon as I left the shop, I turned lightly to go right knowing they were new and made 2mtr before I came off. Tire soap was left on the sidewalls, and the tires themselves were 5 years old.

I contacted Pirelli who were apologetic for 2 mins. No change of tires! I still have them in the garage. Unfortunately, that is the issue here. Big manufacturers will get away with it if they can. Honda as well. Only 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Alpinestars gortex street boots. Did 4 trips to work, less than 150km and the sole on the right shoe peeled halfway off. Despite their international warranty on defective goods, they haven't replied. The shop offered no refund or replacement. They did offer to glue them back together though! It was only when I posted on facebook and the comments came in thick and fast, the dealer offered a replacement. "It will hurt our reputation", they said.

Customer service here for the most part, especially with Motorcycle is terrible. Kawasaki though has always been spot on.