Too rich at high speed?

Discussion in 'CRF1000L(2) Fueling' started by Moparren, May 5, 2018.

1. Moparren

Moparren Well-Known Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    After a recent freeway run I'm thinking my 2016 is running rich at high speeds. I've always noticed that mileage drops around 75 mph and on my last trip I noticed soot on a support rod for my new luggage that crosses just over the muffler.

Anybody else noticed poor freeway mileage? Would something like a power commander work? Bike is stock and I have no wish to go nuts with pipes and stuff.

2. mike5100

mike5100 New Member

Yes the mpg drops by a good 20% at 75mph over tootling around at 55mph, but I think that's more a problem with physics than the engine running too rich. These are very upright bikes and the air resistance must be much higher than for a fully faired tourer for instance.
    Mike

kristofh likes this.
  3. Shadowjack

Shadowjack New Member

Wind resistance varies by the square of the speed. Resistance at 60 mph is four times what it is at 30. At 75 it's 6.25 times, so it costs you.

4. belrix

belrix Well-Known Member
    africatwin.org gold

I commute daily on my AT using back roads and get 45MPG running around 55MPH. Made a 2 hour run up the interstate for for 2 hours at 75MPH and mileage dropped to 35MPG!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

5. Moparren

Moparren Well-Known Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Totally get that and that's what I figured at first, but the luggage rack has been on the bike for a month of daily riding with no marks and the first 100 mile run to the next city and suddenly it's got soot on it. That's what makes me think that at higher throttle positions it's dumping a bit too much fuel.

6. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

Hang a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) with at least 10 megohm impedance on the o2 sensor and take it for a ride. If you see 0.8 to 1 volt constant it’s rich. You didn’t mention a rotten egg odor so I’m guessing that it’s not. They may have programmed it to be on the fat side during high speed, but it can’t be too fat otherwise they’d kill the cat.

7. Graves

Graves Moderator
    Staff Member

...if the malfunction indicator light isn’t coming on, ride it like you stole it.

Gundog likes this.
  8. ProCycle

ProCycle New Member

I suspect you are correct. Many motorcycles stock tuning makes them rich at higher loads/rpms for engine safety. The AT seems to take this top end richness further than others. Time for a trip to the dyno.