What makes it yours...

Discussion in 'Africa Twin General Discussions' started by OneEarTim, Nov 18, 2017.

1. I just rented an Africa Twin in Vegas and flogged it for a 172 miles in the desert.
    I just wrote a story about it here. https://www.africatwin.org/threads/quick-and-dirty-172-from-vegas.1476/
    This is my second time renting from https://www.gsmotoadventures.com/
    The first time I rented one from them back in March I LOVED the bike.
    This time I kinda hated it.
    Well, Hate is a strong word. I hated it until I rode the KLR650
    This made me realize how important "tuning" our bikes for us matters.
    The lower bars wrecked my neck and shoulders after riding all day and more than that the super soft suspension almost flopped me on the ground a half dozen times. Luckily my hang on or die instincts worked out.
    I also forgot how excited the bike feels in the sandy and rocky conditions without my Scotts Stabilizer.

So what are the things you consider important to making your bike yours?
    Africa Twin Vegas 2.jpg Africa Twin Vegas 3.jpg Africa Twin Vegas 6.jpg Africa Twin Vegas 10.jpg

Squily, SoCalEddie and Admin like this.
  2. How tall are you?
    I'm 1.75m, i did put the seat in lowest position and moved the handlebars a tiny bit forwards, That made the difference for me ;-)

3. @kristof.helsen I'm around 6'1". I ride with my seat in the high position and rolling my bars forward made a huge difference.

kristofh likes this.
  4. Always looking forward to your ride reports. Living vicariously through these photos. Excellent stuff, Tim. Keep them coming!

5. SoCalEddie likes this.
  6. I weigh 170lbs and I'm 6ft tall.

I was experiencing back pain just below the left shoulder blade caused by having to stretch to reach the throttle and hold it open for long periods. I had the same problem with my KLR 650 and bar risers were the cure for it so I knew the Honda would need them also. The bar risers made all the difference with shoulder discomfort and the standing position while riding is just about perfect also. I use 1-1/4" Rox risers.

The helmet buffeting was a more expensive problem to solve. I purchased an MRA sport screen which cost $160 and it did little in dealing with the buffeting and also dropped my fuel mileage by about 5 mpg. The MRA screen was larger than the stock one and apparently took a lot more power to push it along at 75 mph. The Batzen screen adjuster allowed me to use the better looking stock screen and adjust it up about 1 inch below the maximum adjustment height. Although the Batzen cost a little over $100 it cured the buffeting problem completely and I regained the lost mpg numbers.

OneEarTim likes this.
  7. Being older and having more than a few aches and pains my bike has to be set up perfectly for me. This included a set of Tim's risers, a pair of Black Dog pegs, a Seat Concepts saddle, and I'll be sending my forks and shock off to Cogent Dynamics for springs and valving. Just like suits, no bike fits me off the rack.

8. I literally started a business because I needed a taller bar position and didn't like what was available. Having my Scotts Stabilizer makes a surprising difference as well. At 170lbs I imagine the suspension is pretty decent for you.
    Riding the rental last week without my bar risers was a mess with my shoulder and neck.

9. Do you find that the Scotts tends to make the rear step out more while cornering under power due to the delay in counter steering? That's something I always disliked about the Scotts. Also, I ended up running the low speed all the way down and the high speed all the way up because I found myself fighting the stabilizer, and if the low speed was up the rear would tend to swap in whoops.

10. @Graves Back when I raced a lot I tested all the dampers I could find and did a lot of testing. I'm not sure I experienced what you are talking about.
    I used to think that steering dampers were for sissies until I bought a Scotts that was dialed in. I sold it to my Dad and made fun of him for needing it. Then I bought a new one after riding a few rides without it.
    After testing a lot with different bikes I've found that the stock Scotts settings are almost always where I end up VERY close to. I almost always end up with the high speed close to stock while backing the low speed out a little until I don't feel resistance. I will add some low speed when I'm in sandy conditions to slow things down a bit and back it out a lot when I'm in tight woods, but I don't change the high speed as it generally is to save the bigger swaps.
    I generally feel that if you are feeling the damper then it is either a bad design or not set up properly.
    My current settings on my AT is:
    Low speed= 2 turns out (1 is stock)
    High speed= Stock and I don't remember where that is
    Sweep= 12oclock (stock I think)

I have a feeling that your adjusting your high speed all the way in is causing you a problem. Also, where is your sweep set? I've played with this at 6oclock which is basically full sweep damping and I hated it. I've tested road dampers on dirt vs dirt dampers and I think the road dampers are find as long as you dial in the sweep settings. I do have to say, that when a scotts is setup bad it is BAD BAD. When other dampers are setup bad, they are just stiff.

I hope this helps.

11. The Scotts does improve how the chassis works, the changes to the rear I mention are just a result of the changes to the front, overall the stabilizers do help, and the AT could definitely use one.